But why though? #Teacherbae


 For far too long now the internet has up in arms about a certain curvaceous teacher deemed #teacherbae. When I first heard about this like a week ago I thought it was so clearly I non-issue I didn’t bother writing a whole blog about it though I had strong opinions. But lo and behold we’re still on this shit. I personally didn’t find anything wrong with what she was wearing and I’ve never been accused of having a clean mind. Yet prudes and sex perverts have been up arms, practically foaming at the mouth over a little pink dress. So much so that Patrice Brown also known as #teacherbae has been formally and publically reprimanded (shamed) by her employer. Said employer even went so far as to clarify #teacherbae’s position as a paraprofessional. It got me to thinking about professional attire and the arbitrary standards we as the human race are hell bent on holding ourselves and others to, but why though?
  Seriously have you ever asked yourself why you do the things you do. I’m not just talking about when you fuck up or have a hangover. I mean the everyday rituals you adhere to without ever questioning them. In regard to the bodacious Ms. Brown a valid argument that’s been touted amongst her haters is that her attire could not be considered business casual, which is true. It’s also true that nothing I’ve seen her in is either obscene or vulgar but that’s neither here nor to her critics. The major arguments have been whether she wore business casual attire and how said attire might affect her students. As to the latter, it doesn’t. Those kids don’t’ like the dress code or being sexualizing by pervs and prudes any more than she does. As to the former they have a point which begs the question, the fuck’s the point of business casual anyway.
  Now I’m sure you just came up with several excuses. You’re saying to yourself, well it’s a professional environment so one should just professionally. Only…who decided what’s professional and what isn’t. To this you might say that one must dress in a manner that’s not offensive or attractive to others. Well I have to call bullshit. Why can’t grown ass people worry about they’re damn self and do their job without worrying about other grown ass people’s clothing.
 Once upon a time I had a job selling insurance over the phone. On my first day of training I wore a form fitting gray dress which my mother had bought me. I never found anything overtly sexual about, I just liked the damn dress, but I later found that I was the talk of the training class and one women in particular was so apposed she even called me several names(behind my back of course). That same women later left the job because her sales numbers weren’t cutting it and she was put on a written warning and given three months to bring her numbers up. She decided to switch jobs instead of rising to the challenge, go figure. It’s almost as if cloths have nothing what so ever to do with one’s potential success at a job since I was one of the top ten sales men my first year and top sales man my second.

  Perhaps my success was directly linked to the focus I applied to the craft instead of other people’s clothing and business in general. I have a hunch that in any professional setting it’s the lazy gossipers who put up all the stink about professional attire. It might be to distract from their poor performance or they may just be a bitch or bitch ass nigga. So the next time you wonder why there’s a dress code, at work, in school, in life just know that’s it’s because of miserable people who focus on other’s instead of improving themselves. 

Comments

Popular Posts