Snowboarding for Beginners: The Gear Up



The other day my sister hit me up because she's finally ready to try snowboarding (Yeeeaaahhh!) and wanted to know what items she would need.  I made up this quick list for her, and as an after thought decided to share it with all of you.  Initially I planned to show you all exactly what I wear and take to the mountains, but I guess I will save that for some other time.  For now, I'm just going to try to make this as beginner-friendly as possible by breaking gear down into what you need, really want, and can more or less do without.

 
Need:   
All in all, this is my personal list of everything you absolutely need, i.e. bare minimum, you CANNOT snowboard without these items.  (FYI- all of these things can be rented)

1) A snowboard (duh)- Any rental shop should be able to help you with sizing, fitting and setting up the positioning.

 

2) Bindings- These should definitely come with the board if you're renting; but if you decided to buy, especially second-hand, make sure you get some and that they are a good match.
 

3) Snowboard boots- It has to be snowboard boots.  These are also available for rent most places that rent/sale boards.  You'll want to try them on with the bindings to make sure everything fits together and you can strap yourself in with ease.

 
Really Want:
Things that I suppose you can technically board without, although I don't think I ever would voluntarily.


1)  Snowboarding Helmet- I see lots of people board without them, I would never dream of tempting fate though.
 

2) Jacket and Snow Pants- Preferably water proof or at the least water resistant.  Believe it or not, I see lots of people out on the mountain without these items as well.  They even have some specialty events where people ski and board in bikinis but I couldn't imagine.  Then again, I really can't tolerate being wet and cold for very long.

3) Good base layers- Usually a pants and shirt combo that is either wool or a synthetic wicking material (which means it pulls moisture away from your body)  Nike dri-fit stuff works really well even if that's not the intended use lol.  There are also a ton of brands that make base layers specifically designed for wear under your snowsuit. 

4) Gloves- Again, I highly recommend some that are waterproof (or at least resistant), flexible but snug-fitting with velcro or some other way to keep them on.   Some companies make ones that work with touchscreens as well, which is convenient so you don't have to risk losing one while trying to snap selfies on the lift.  Mine aren't but they at least snap together so I can keep one on and be sure the other is safe.

5) Goggles- Great in some cases.  However, if you can't get good ones I say nix 'em and opt for tinted or polarized sunglasses instead, because the cheap ones fog up like crazy which is worse than the glare from the snow in most cases. 
 
6) Good socks!-  Wool or synthetic wicking material- no cotton.  

*In fact, no cotton at all!  It will soak up all the perspiration you won't notice you're emitting, and the next thing you know you'll be freezing as soon as you slow down
.


7) A stomp pad or stomp stones for the board- These will make offloading infinitely less difficult.
 

8) Sunscreen- It seems that I burn worse on the mountain than I do on the beach, especially in Spring, so protection from the rays is a must!

Want:
Who am I kidding? I'm not hitting the mountains without these either, but I guess they're not totally essential.


1) Headphones/ear buds- You don't need tunes and I've even heard some people say it throws off their concentration, but I think once you get good and comfortable you'll want to have them.


2) A cute winter hat- For when the helmet comes off unless you're rocking braids or some other style less susceptible to helmet hair.

3) A good face mask- A must for when it is either really cold or windy out, or when it's actively snowing.  Just make sure it has nose holes or some other kind of ventilation that directs expelled breath down to prevent excessive goggle fogging.


4)
Energy bars- Seriously, it's nice to have some good fuel on you when you're out.  LUNA's macadamia white choco bar is my personal fave.  Most resorts usually have cafes or shops where you can grab food too, but they can be pricey sometimes.  Plus if you're in the middle of getting in some good runs who wants to stop for a snack break?  Not this girl.


5) Cellphone- One that actually works.  Mostly for snapping some sweet pics, but also to keep in touch with your crew when you all inevitably get split up.  If not, or I suppose in addition to, always make sure you choose a rally point upon arrival.  Make sure everyone knows where it is, and when to meet there for periodic wellness check-ins.

Now that you've got the complete list, here are my suggestion on what you'll want to purchase up front and which items you should probably wait a while to buy.

 
Now:
Snow pants and a jacket-
because you can use these for a ton of other things and if you shop around they're not that expensive.  Plus, you're probably not going to want to rent them.
Ditto gloves and socks!


Wait:
Just about everything else.  I definitely recommend waiting to purchase any large or pricey gear until you determine 1) if you're really even that into it.  Generally speaking, this stuff is not cheap and so you definitely don't want to rush and put a couple hundred to thousands of dollars into a sport only to find you don't really enjoy it all that much and then have to worry about the hassle of reselling or just sucking up the loss.  2) the more you board and learn what you're doing/get comfortable you'll begin to figure out what you like and what works best for you personally.  So rather than buying a whole starter kit and constantly having to buy replacements and upgrades when you learn about other options, just hold off for a while.  Do some research and buy stuff that's going to last and that you're going to love using.





This is my board, "Blondie".  I didn't buy her until the end of my second season.

Quality base layers make a huge difference however they can be pricey, so if you've got some non-cotton leggings or workout gear you can wear underneath your outer layers to begin , you'll probably be fine.  The main goal is to be comfortable, not too wet or cold underneath it all and to be able to move freely.


Other things to consider: 

You'll need Lift Tickets.  You can usually expect to spend about $60ish, but it always a good idea to plan out where you're going and check online for their rates before you arrive so you're not blindsided by cost.  Some places even have discounts for prepurchaisng online, and many others will often have a beginners' option which allows unlimited use of their beginner or bunny slopes at a fraction of the normal lift cost for that day.  Lastly, some places offer packages for lessons and lifts at a discounted rate, so if you want to do lessons, that'll probably be the best bet.


Lessons- Yay or nay?  I never had any, and it took me a painful and embarrassingly long time to get the hang of it.  However, from what I've heard and seen it doesn't seem like taking them makes it any less of a disaster your first (couple) of trips, so I guess it is a matter of personal preference.  If you feel like you would be more comfortable doing them, my only advice is to shop around first.  Make sure you're getting the best bang for your buck.

My final tip- relax and try to make the most out of the experience.  Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't expect to be a rockstar your first, second or even third trip, because chances are it's not gonna happen that way.  

Do you board (or ski)?  Anything you'd like to add in the way of tips or gear for noobs?  Any favorite spots you'd like to share?  Drop your suggestion in the comments section.  Winter is finally here!

Comments

Popular Posts