Motivation

Ambition is a wonderful thing.  Like a motor to a speed boat, it is the propelling force that sends you zooming towards the horizon.
Although not in a traditional sense, I am a very ambitious person, and this is something that I am extremely grateful for.  My ambition has enabled me to do a lot of things that many people only dream of doing.  A lot of things that frankly, looking at my life, my past, my background, a lot of people would have said never could be done.  Yet, I've done them.  And I am going to keep on doing them, to prove to those naysayers, as well as to myself, that I can!
Photo credit: http://xdinv.tumblr.com/post/42828437765/the-motivation-for-me-was-them-telling-me-what-i


For me, ambition is the burning ‘what’s next’ always in the back of my mind.
It’s when I finish a 10k and need to sign up for a half marathon, or when I complete that and immediately look at my calendar to see when I can schedule a full.
It helps me keep momentum; ambition is what has me always researching, planning and finding a way to achieve that next goal.  To cross that next item off the grand to-do list.
However, sometimes, having too much ambition can get in the way of certain other important goals- for instance, happiness.  (Yes, for me, happiness is a goal. LOL)
That’s because happiness is like the horizon.
It is not something you can reach, touch, conquer and claim.  Happiness is elusive.  It has no soil for us to plant our flag in, and rarely provides a sexy backdrop for us to pose and snap the perfect selfie in front of.
Instead, happiness is what is left behind in the stillness of those few moments when you cut the motor off and just breathe.
Happiness is not necessarily linked to anything that is tangible or definable.  That is why sometimes ambition, while opening your eyes to and driving you towards so many amazing things, can prevent you from realizing when you've reached those goals, and therefore prevent you from enjoying the happiness that accompanies that moment when you do.  And, if we are not careful, ambition will have you speed right past your own happiness in the rush to live life to the fullest.
The trick, though, is balance; like everything else in life.  I would never wish to be less ambitious, because then I would have less moments of happiness to enjoy.  I just hope I always remember to take the time to slow down, recognize and relish those moments when they come.
So, don't be afraid to carpe diem!  Only, when you have, be sure to relax a little and appreciate that you've arrived.  This is what happiness feels like.

Comments

Popular Posts