SAVE HIP HOP IN AUSTIN!


As I have stated before Austin is becoming the music capital and with its diverse population you would think that there would be a good hip hop radio station. At least just one . . . Well there isn’t. Not one. The one “hip hop” station here plays Iggy Azalea and Silento every 5 mins which is all you need to know to figure out that we are seriously lacking in real music. Don't get me started with Iggy Azalea . . . Moving on, it boggles me that we can see all of our favorite hip hop artists at festivals or live performances but we can’t even get them on the radio!
The general consensus around town is that there aren’t enough black people to have a hip hop station. While that could be determined to be a good reason, every hip hop concert I have gone to was FILLED with white and latino people that knew ALL the words to ALL the songs! They were even hip to some songs I wasn’t that familiar with! So there IS a large hip hop fan base here that has NOTHING to do with the color of one’s skin. SO, if race is not an issue . . . why can’t we have a proper hip hop station???


In my dream of dreams, guess I am a dreamer, I'd like a station that would merge all genres of hip hop. Just because I'm deep in the heart of Texas doesn’t mean I only want to listen to Bun B and Trae the Truth. Give me some east coast, west coast, midwest and dirty south! I want variety! I want to be put on the jams that everyone else is listening to! I don’t want to have to use my data to stream Pandora, itunes radio, or subscribe to satellite radio because my local stations aren’t with it. Got me driving to Dallas/Houston just to hear the latest hits . . . This is 2015 and I'm living in one of the most liberal cities in Texas, so let’s merge and create something that people want to hear!

I was creeping on IG the other day, don't judge me because we all do it, and I see some chicks testimonial about how she requested a song  in a club out here and the DJ wouldn’t play it because it was too “ratchet”. It was a song from Drake and Futures mixtape. WTF. By the way Drake was just here headlining Austin City Limits two weekends in a row and the bands were sold out on the nights he was performing. So how is he too ratchet? That's why there’s only like one DJ in Austin that I enjoy seeing and will go to all his events. He’s the only one that I know won’t ruin my buzz with terrible transitions or ill-timed song that messes up my groove. I really have a ton of respect for him and his craft. Shout out to DJ Hella Yella. Y'all go check him out at www.djhellayella.com. Oh and I'm just going to need him to take over the radio now. Just saying . . .

Anyways I am really hopeful that this blog, which is the seed of an idea, can jumpstart action and my dreams will come to fruition! Who’s trying to start a radio station with me? Let me know! Comment, like, share, we have to get this idea out there! Feel free to e-mail me if you know somebody or you know something about it at SB05P4sho@gmail.com!

Comments

Popular Posts