The birth of the Mad Scribe

 Okay so I found something from way back in the day that I thought was lost forever. It happened as finally began to used the Cortana voice activated assistant on my computer. I didn’t even realize my computer had that option, but I digress. I asked Cortana to bring up my book, Escape from came 8, and it did so much more. I didn’t even realize I had so many versions saved. So I actually came up on the original version. Back then I was constantly using the synonyms feature on Microsoft word to learn big words lol. (I still do this by the way, you’re welcome}  Yet I decided to cut this part out of the original Escape from camp 8. This monologue would just fit better in another story. Anyway I submit to you the following, the birth of The Mad Scribe.
Out of a deathly quiet a lone voice begins to speak. It pours out of the abyss like the sweetest of dreams. Rich as honey and tantalizing to the ears, it resonates in the silence brimming with subtle command. Yet barely above a whisper, so that even in the eerie hush one would strain to hear. Oh but to hear was to be entranced, and the lone voice said…
So you’ve come to hear the mad man tale have you”, the words were positively dripping with elegant burr, pompous but the manner was so truly pleasant one was apt to forgive the sheer arrogance. “You really”, the voice erupts with mad laughter the sound nearly musical. “I’m so sorry. Truly I am but the very idea is so, well laughable” he let loose an exasperated sigh. “No offense meant really, it’s just I happen to know that you are thoroughly unprepared for the sort of tale I could spin. You must realize that the things I could tell you would shatter the meaning of truth and logic as you’ve come to understand it.” The voice took on a hysterical pitch, menacing.
Could you handle that? I think not. In fact a person of your fragile nature; it would quite literally tear your trivial little world asunder. It would lay waste to the values you hold dear. Infecting you like a disease, corrupting, enticing, maddening,” the voice was shouting now. “Would you have it still?” The voice gave a deep chuckle “Of course you would. You feel that you’ve been challenged at this point, and sadly this may be your only course of merit. So you’ve come to me in hopes of feeding some pathetic notion of valor,” the voice laughed again.
Tssk, tssk, didn’t you know I’d see right through it?  Here you are curled up, cozy as can be, and you say to yourself ‘It couldn’t possibly be as sinister as all that’. But what do you know? Didn’t you come to me? Well then, I pose these questions, not to you but myself; it’s simply my custom with these delicate matters. What is it you expected to find here, hmm? What do you want from me? Don’t you realize I know all about you?  You sit day in and day out thirsting for some sense of adventure, any minor thrill. Though it’s really only in some sick voyeuristic sense.
You’d rather all the danger kept snugly within the bindings. All the daring saved for those characters trapped within its pages. Then you may put it aside and go about you hum drum life, day after dreary day, obscurity at its finest. Not a spark of light in your mind. No inkling of belief.
As if you expect I’d croon on for hours on end; tales of splendor, passion, wondrous things, simply for your amusement. For you to be entertained. HA. Well you just won’t get it that way, no, no. There are conditions, yes conditions. First you must grasp that it happened somewhere, possibly someplace very near you. In fact on any given day at any given hour you might have taken a left instead of a right on that particular street, and wham.  You would have been smack in the middle of it. Next, and you may have guessed it, you must believe.
  Believe in the intangible, the impossible, and the unthinkable. I know, I know truth and logic and all that but if you must know the truth is often far less logical than most assume. Really is what I ask so absurd. Was the world not once flat? All I ask is that you look beyond what is right in front of you shun the obvious, see past the realm of the mundane. Is that so hard?” Above all, and this friend is the ultimate condition, simply enjoy the ride. I may venture to hell and back or not back at all. I make no promises. If you accept we may begin as all beginnings do, somewhere around the middle. Follow me if you will across steep snowcapped mountains. The sun is just beginning to set in this place you’ll surely never find on any map



Comments

Popular Posts