The New Edition Story: Review

     So first things first. BET is tryna come up and they’re succeeding. They already knocked it out of the park with Being Mary Jane, (I don’t watch it, gasp! But I have heard wonderful things about it.) I did however have the pleasure of watching The New Edition Story. Now like most 80’s babies I grew listening to the music of my mother’s day as she cleaned and that didn’t include anything created after 1990. My mother even took it a step further and went full blown radio dictator.
    As a matter of fact when I was in the 6th or 7th grade some of my classmates started talking about Usher and since I’d only ever listened to my mother’s music I had no idea who he was. I was like, what like an usher from church or the theater? The point is I loves me some dusties, (as they’re called in my hometown Chicago), meaning old school R&B. That’s my ish. Especially now that’s I’m 30 and starting to develop a keen hatred of today’s music. I mean I like rap as much as the next millennial but can we get one damn R&B song without  rap intruding and isn’t made by a white person. (No shade to white people but I don’t want R&B to go the way of Jazz.)
  Ironically enough it’s due to my love of authentic R&B that I was so excited to hear about the upcoming New Edition biopic. ( It’s ironic because New Edition was the first R&B group to add a hip hop flair to their R&B flow.) Well I just watched the third installment of The New Edition story and I was not disappointed. It was a harrowing tale of brotherhood, an unprecedented talent and style but sadly ego made more than one appearance as did the all too predictable tragedy which always accompanies pride. I watched as five determined young men from the projects clawed their way out of poverty and obscurity. Though they weren’t blood their struggle bonded them like brothers. Sure they fought, a lot. Like a lot, a lot. But as all brothers do they forgave each, stood up for and looked out for one another. That is until the money came.
  The story begins with one brave young Bobby Brown tanking at a talent show which Ricky and Mike witnessed. Young Bobby didn’t give up though. It seemed defeat lit a fire under him so he rallied Ricky and Mike to form a group. That’s when they discovered a young Karate kid named Ralph. These four formed a dream team and went after a big fish, manager and choreographer Brooke Payne. The courageous young men cornered Mr. Payne in an alley and wouldn’t let him drive away by standing in front of his car and singing. Needless to say Mr. Payne was impressed and history was made. With the final addition of Mr. Payne’s Nephew Ronnie New Edition was born.
 From there the boys saw several ups and downs. It started with lead singer Ralph and his honey smooth voice being offered a solo deal but he refused and only took the deal when they agreed to take his friends as well. Their first hit Candy Girl earned them each a motor bike, 500.00, a world tour then a one way trip back to the ghetto. As the years went by it was much of the same. The boys garnered hit after hit yet were still unable to escape the steely grip of poverty. Still their bond seemed to solidify as poverty tends to do. So it was fitting that as soon as a bit of money finally began to trickle in egomania reared its ugly head in Bobby and after years of defending him his brothers finally agreed to expel him from their ranks.
  As we all know that actually turned out to be a blessing for Bobby and he was catapulted into solo stardom. Only as time moved on regardless of his solo success Bobby still longed for the comradery of his group, even though he didn’t act like it. The group still suffered its share of in fighting without the alleged trouble maker Bobby gone and Bell, Biv, Devoe was born with its smash hit Poison. Ralph had a Yoko of a wife constantly in his ear with malcontent. Sadly Ralph’s solo effort did not seem to measure up to his wife’s or his own expectations and their union did not survive the letdown.The individual success of the groups members lends credence to the idea that the groups managers should have rotated each member as a lead singer but managers are notoriously tunnel visioned, only wanting to develop one artist.  The New Edition Story was a thrill ride from beginning to end the best part is that it’s not over yet. Rumor has it that New Edition is lining up a brand spanking new reunion tour and after hearing their back story I’ll be there, will you? Tell us what you thought of the movie and your favorite New Edition song. Whether you grew up on this music or just discovered it we want to hear from you.

Comments

Popular Posts