Secret Sister Shenanigans and the Spirit of Giving

A couple of weeks back I saw the following post come down my Facebook timeline promoting a secret sister/Santa style gift exchange:


If you're in the giving mood or like to receive fun mail... I am looking for 6 ladies or more to participate in a secret sister gift exchange. You only have to buy one gift valued at $10 and sent it to one secret sister, and you will receive 36 in return! Let me know if you are interested and i will send you the information! It's easy if you order something online, you won't even have to make a trip to the post office!  Comment if you want info. 'Tis the season!!

I usually ignore chain letters and other such posts which demand you share or like or take some other action, but occasionally I'll find one that seems like a bit of good fun and I'll give in.  This secret sister gift exchange fit the bill.

While, I was definitely skeptical about the promised return of 6-36 gifts I saw advertised in several different versions of this same post, to me the bigger attraction was in shopping for cute little surprise gifts to brighten the day of a stranger. Knowing that I'm not really the best at math, I initially kept my concern to myself on where these promised 36 gifts were supposed to be coming from.  I couldn't see how buying one person a gift would guarantee six or more for me.  Once I fully understood the game, I was even more doubtful- the promised return was dependent on each person posting the original call to action, and having a minimum of six sisters who were interested in playing.  From there each person would post again, and theoretically have no less than six new sisters to add to the loop of gift giving.  Fun times, right?  Sure, in theory, although I admittedly had low expectations when it came to the follow through required.  The only way a person could end up with 36 (or more) gifts was if everyone who posted it got a minimum of six committed participants who then followed all the directions and also had six committed participants sign on under them.  For this reason, when I re-posted it, I made sure to state you could receive up to 36 gifts.

Either way, I didn't get too stressed out about it.  I knew if I got even one surprise gift it would be worth it.  I had so much fun picking out the gift for my "sister" that I actually signed on for another round.  I was feeling the holiday cheer early. 

Then I saw this Secret Sisters Gift Exchange Pyramid Scheme article, along with several other posts slamming the gift exchange.  Some even going so far as to call it illegal

  

I was annoyed, and a little saddened by the reminder that even things done in fun are often tainted by people who have malevolent intentions. I don't personally think I would go as far as to say this gift exchange is illegal, but I do hope that most of the people participating aren't really going into this expecting to get a ton of gifts in return for buying one cheap one. 



Most of the feedback I got from other friends of mine who were participating seemed to coincide with my own thoughts, that this was an opportunity to give a little happiness and spread some cheer to someone they may not know, or who is outside their usual friend/gift exchange circle. 

Much to my surprise after the flood of posts slamming the exchange, I came home Monday to my first gift.  I was majorly stoked, and posted this pic:

Caption on original FB post: So, my first gift from the secret sister exchange has arrived and omg I totally love it! It's so me, I had to check my Amazon order list to make sure I didn't drunk-buy it for myself... Kidding... Sort of... Anyway, I love it! Hope my secrets sisters were as pleased with their gifts as I am right now!

This gift really is so "me."  It totally brightened my day and I love the thoughtfulness that someone put into picking it out.  I truly hope that the sisters I bought for felt as excited when they received their gifts also.  To me spreading kindness and goodwill without necessarily needing the motivation of a reward is one of the most precious gifts we can give or receive in this life, and while it doesn't have to be the "giving season" for one to do this, it certainly helps.  Personally, feel like this was the perfect start to a wonderful holiday season!

Had you heard about or seen this exchange on your Facebook timeline too?  What are your thoughts- trick or treat?  Let us know in the comments!

Comments

Popular Posts