I'm just black and there's nothing wrong with that #blacklivesmatter #teamlightskin #teamdarkskin


Take a look at the title of this post and let it sink in. It would seem to be a no-brainer right. Wrong! I won't go into detail about the entire #blacklivesmatter movement and the fight my people still face for equal treatment under the law. Instead, I'd like to discuss the nauseous making off-handed remarks other black people throw at each without realizing their very statements reinforce the false idea that blacks are worthless. For example, I was at the gym the other day and a random black man walked up to me and asked: "Are you mixed?" I responded truthfully and said, "No just black." His response, "Wow so you're just lucky!" This actually made my gut wrench but I didn't bother to educate him because I'm familiar enough with his particular brand of stupidity to know that he was too far gone for redemption.

   Only later it stuck that it is so ingrained in the minds of my people that there is something wrong with being black that some of us believe noticing that a black person has nonblack ancestry is the biggest compliment that you can give them. He didn't even realize that by saying I'm lucky to be light skinned means its unlucky to be dark skinned. It all goes back to the Willie Lynch Model and the division of our race.(See The Willie Lynch Letter: The making of slaves) It is a stark reminder that we are a conquered people and many of us behave as such. Remember to enslave a people you have to get them to participate in their enslavement by believing in their own inferiority.

   Don't get me wrong if a person is mixed or has mixed ancestry they should not be forced to deny or be ashamed of their nonblack heritage. Nor should it be worn as a twisted badge of honor. So heed this the next time you get the need to "compliment"  someone on their ability to not be too black, save it. Do not assume that black shame is universal. Just because you play for #teamlightskin doesn't mean anyone else is interested in playing that particular game....out!

Comments

Popular Posts