Purposely Segregated

Purposely Segregated


For so long I was naive enough to think every one was exposed to many different races as i was. Growing up near a military base you encounter people from all walks of life. You learn so much from the various cultures and learn to appreciate the positives that a melting pot can bring.


Fast forward from my childhood to my first two years of the Marine Corps. Once again I was put in a living situation where I was surrounded by people from all walks of life. In my opinion it was easy living. For others I could see it bothered them being around so much change. What was special for me living in Japan with my first unit, none of that mattered. Everyone was able to get along and hang out based on music, sports, etc. Race was secondary as it should be.

Turn the life hand dial forward again to present day. I am now out and away from access to Military bases. I have slowly noticed that Race and Class still separates communities. People make a conscious choice to live next people who look like themselves.The running narrative you see on TV is that America is a free land where everyone loves and lives together. A half truth at best if you look at the numbers most cities are segregated. No this isn't the 60’s. In todays modern living after all the fighting, protesting, and debate people still CHOOSE to live away from each other.

Comments

Popular Posts